Leaders Edge!

Leaders Edge is a posting of ideas, thoughts and techniques for leading edge executives from the creative mind of Bob 'Idea Man' Hooey. Visit http://www.LeadersEdge.biz for more information.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmonton Area, Alberta, Canada

I draw from a rich wealth of experience in retail, manufacturing, sales, education, and association leadership and management. I'm the author of ten leadership, career, and business development books, a mini-book series and several ebooks in process. Visit: http://www.SuccessPublications.biz for more information on the writing or http://www.bobhooey.com on the services I provide my clients. Visit my main site: http//www.ideaman.net or http://www.fullofhooey.com for more information on what I can do to help you or your organization move to the next level.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My (Long) Day At the Top

My (Long) Day At the Top: "From: Issue 106 June 2006 Page 64 By: Jennifer Reingold

The lightning bolt wasn't a great sign. My first day on the job, and I was already losing control: A string of emails demanded split-second decisions for problems I had only just heard about; I needed to pull together a business-plan presentation for a product I had never laid eyes on; a rabid reporter lurked outside my door. Then, the single, jagged flash shot across my window. I gulped my Diet Dr Pepper. Maybe I wasn't meant to be an executive after all.

Not that I ever really thought I was. Sure, I've been covering management and leadership for 10 years, lambasting and lionizing executives, dismissing their best-laid plans with a few cutting words and anointing their successors with a few sparkling ones. But my actual experience with leading and managing has remained largely theoretical. Ironic? Sure, but I liked that.

Still, we all have to grow up sometime. So when Richard Wellins, an SVP at human-resources consulting firm Development Dimensions International (DDI), invited me to its intensive one-day 'operational executive platform'--a simulation used to screen potential job candidates or identify and develop stars already in-house--I jumped at the chance. Over the course of one full day, I'd make strategic decisions, launch a new product, and deal with the challenges a boss typically faces. I'd be thrown curveballs by company brass, employees, customers, and media alike (all role-played by trained assessors). "

NOTE: This is a must read for any practicing leader. By practicing I mean growing on the job which is one of the more fun things about leadership - school is never out.

Enjoy

Bob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home